1. We have 2 toddlers, 2 (and sometimes 4) teenagers and 2 adults in a 3 bedroom plus study house.
2. I didn't like sushhing the teenagers at night and the toddlers in the morning! Everyone needs their own space plus some big spaces for all of us to be together.
3. Our house was built by a retired couple - quite large for two but the wrong room dimensions for a family.
4. Two long, narrow living rooms that are difficult to furnish. The formal dining/formal sitting around a fireplace doesn't quite work for us!
5. After 18 months of looking to buy a bigger house, we realised that we like where we are and couldn't find anything anyway (we were fishing in a very small pond..) And...as Sarah Richardson says - why pay for someone else's renovation when you can do it exactly the way you want in your current home?
We started seriously planning in September last year and on June 1st this year the demolition started. A long time, but I'm so glad we took our time to get our plan right, change our mind, add and subtract. I had ideas back then that I don't like now! I think the plan is now perfect for our family.
I thought of doing this blog because a lot of the ideas I like have come from blogs. And maybe this one can be helpful to someone else!
So, here goes...